Dental Infections: Risk Resource Strategies for Control and Prevention
Malpractice claims involving gingival and periodontal infections are not only difficult to defend, they’re also the greatest source of indemnity payments made on behalf of dentists. Participants in this seminar will review common circumstances giving rise to infection-related malpractice claims—as well as steps to help prevent claims. This seminar was developed in partnership with Medical Risk Management, Inc.
Participation in this seminar will better enable participants to:
- Identify errors that commonly give rise to infection-related adverse outcomes.
- Explain the importance of discussing infection risks when obtaining informed consent.
- Describe the procedures for determining whether a patient should undergo antibiotic prophylaxis.
- Discuss the importance of appointing an infection control specialist who is familiar with―and ensures practice compliance with―the CDC’s Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Facilities.
- Explain how proper communication and documentation practices can reduce the risk of dental infection and subsequent adverse outcomes.
Release Date: November 3, 2014
Expiration Date: November 3, 2017
Estimated Time of Completion: 4 hours
Cost: Free to all dentists insured by ProAssurance
* Continuing Dental Education Credit:
ProAssurance Corporation is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing dental education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship/Mastership and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 1/1/2014 to 12/31/2015. Provider ID 209194.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the Academy of General Dentistry Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE) through the joint program provider approval of ProAssurance Corporation and Medical Risk Management, Inc. ProAssurance Corporation is approved for awarding FAGD/MAGD credit.
ProAssurance Corporation designates this education activity for a maximum of 4.0 hours of self instruction credit. Dentists should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
** Premium Credit:
Participation in this online prevention seminar may qualify you for a premium credit. Dentists must complete the online seminar and successfully pass the post-test with a score of 70% or greater. We encourage you to contact your ProAssurance representative to see if you qualify for a premium credit under our comprehensive system of discounts and rewards for loss prevention seminars. Premium credits are subject to approval by the state insurance department and are applied at renewal of your insurance policy.